What do we do?
Octopus Organic Gardening was founded in 2009 to provide property owners with organic yard maintenance and sustainable landscape design and installation services.
Our mission:to be the company that people come to for professional, responsible, environmentally safe garden care, innovative outdoor design and creative urban farming solutions.
Our vision: to become an important local asset in the development of visibly sustainable communities in this region.
Our values: proactive and restorative environmental action, personal creativity, collaboration, and producing a high quality of service while enjoying our work.
Octopus Organic Gardening offers site-specific organic lawn care and fine gardening maintenance. We use non-toxic materials along with low impact tools and techniques to encourageboth soil and plant health. Over a season or two the root mass of the plants wil increase as will the level of biological life in the soil.
We start with the goal of creating a chemically free outdoor living space. Using a proprietary Bio-T spray and compost mixtures,along with a few techniques borrowed from sustainable agriculture,we can help you create a yard that is safe for the entire family. Whether you are looking for an alternative to an existing lawn program, or want to make a an old yard more inviting - we can customize a program for you. In 2013 Octopus Organic Gardening is focusing on establishing edible landscapes, roof top gardens and intimate urban oasis.
Guiding Principles for our work
Not all gardening or landscape projects require a great deal of underlying philosophy. Octopus Organic Gardening wants to promote broad based sustainability whenever we work. We take a common sense approach that draws from best practices of organic gardening and farming.
The Sustainable Sites Initiative is a national program that has created 10 goals for the design of any site.
Here is a sample of those goals:
- Be careful to not degrade the diversity of a site, but focus on regenerating it.
- Design the landscape with consideration for both natural inhabitants and human participants
- Use a systems thinking approach that focuses on relationships and connections between all the elements of the site.
- Use a collaborative and ethical approach in communication and conducting business.
- Foster environmental stewardship and responsible management by sharing information and offering assistance.
More information about these guidelines can be found at www.sustainablesites.org
The international field of Permaculture also offers many design challenges for anyone determined to create a sustainable system.
A sample of those design challenges:
- Use permanent plants and perennial food crops wherever possible.
- Preserve and create natural plant and animal associations.
- Complexity and diversity in the landscape is good for the well being of the surrounding environment.
- The problem we face is often the solution right in front of us.
- The productive yield of the system is theoreticaly unlimited.
More information can be found at www.permaculture.org
No matter what the underlying theory is, your site needs to be beautiful to your eyes and your experience. Octopus Organic Gardening is here to help you create that place. If you want to discuss any of these design ideas give us a call or send a message.